Friday, March 13, 2020

It's all everybody is talking about

Last night, French president Macron also talked about Covid19.
In French, with voice-over in English; 
It was a good speech. So says all the pundits and politicians except Marine Le Pen.
People 70 years old or more are asked to stay in. Within reason. We can still shop for food. This morning, we went to the garden center. I figured that we might as well get the veggies raised boxes in shape for planting and buying seeds and sturdy plants that can live through a light freeze if we get some more. Normally, planting in France is late April and May.
This little ones will not go back to school on Monday; no baseball practice or games until further notice and I bet it's the same for the pony and piano lessons. The parents will work from home or be on "technical unemployment" if working from home is not possible and the president promised that that will be covered. Still, it would have been nice if we could have taken the kids off their backs, but since the whole reason for closing the schools is not that kids are sick but rather that they are healthy carriers of the virus and we belong to the "at risk" population.
Meanwhile, I've still got to finish that cardigan. There is a visible mistake in the back in the ribbed center section. Really, it would probably be faster to take the cardigan apart and knit a new back but for two weeks, off and on, I've been trying to repair it by hand. I think I'm about to give up. But the thought of taking it apart, including ripping back the collar, and knitting the back for the third time is just too discouraging. However, I do have the time to do it. Once that is done, I need to clean the machine I've been using. I received the special brush to clean the unreachable area in the needle bed. I imagine there must be a ton of fluff, there. I think I need to use the other machine for a while -- so it doesn't get jealous! I have plenty of yarn stash to go through. Let's see if I make any headway.
The trip to the U.K. is off. I can't get through to the Eurostar customer service and their website says traffic is normal. However, we have been instructed to stay home and, for such a short visit, it seems ridiculous to risk going and getting stuck in England, to risk taking the virus with us or contracting it there, from the kids.
Stuck at home -- but with a yard. Stuck at home -- but able to go out for walks when the weather is nice. Stuck at home -- with FaceBook. Stuck at home -- but able to go to the corner store to get fresh food. Stuck at home -- but with tons of TV channels with all sorts of programs and YouTube, which can be addictive. Boredom is out of the question. This is not hardship. Not for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. For more private correspondence, just e-mail me! Ellen