Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Another week has gone by

Our family has discovered Zoom. First, K suggested it; he's been using it for online classes and family reunions. I mentioned it to A and she said she's been using it for the continuing educations classes she manages. Then, last Thursday, I was attending a meeting of an association (AAWE) on Google Hangouts, but there were too many of us or something else was wrong, because communication was difficult and my telephone was not the only one to get extremely hot so we decided to use Zoom. That worked fine. Thus initiated, I launched a family reunion on Friday.
Why not WhatsApp? Well, from what I gather, that's limited to 4 phones and we needed more connections if I was to connect us and our four kids. Plus, that on the phone, which is a small screen. Why not FaceTime? That's for Apple users and we do not all have Apple products. Why not Skype? We've been really disappointed in the audio. So, Zoom, it was.
L showed us all the apartment. They've settled in. I think all the stuff left at our house is expendable, then. The children showed us their rooms and they got to see their UK cousins, too. Only E and G were not able to join us. Internet is so slow where they are, they can't do video conferences and besides, E was cleaning up after an afternoon of working on the walls of the gîte.
I would like to bake. The thing is I want to be able to buy flour to replace the bag that I will have to open in order to bake. P went to the supermarket this morning (Don't worry. He goes at 7, when they open and there are no other customers.) It was the first time since last week. There was still no flour. He got some canned fruit and some fresh fruit, but so far, we're still ok with our supplies. The boeuf bourgignon I made and froze last month is very good. There was too much sauce and that made a great oignon soup last night.
The plants are coming along fine. The radishes have sprouted. The other seeds have not yet sprouted. The planted seedlings are surviving under the winter cover. We still have frosty mornings. The weather has been beautiful since mid-March. Blue skies, no rain -- if only we could go out on long walks.
That's it. Nothing extraordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. For more private correspondence, just e-mail me! Ellen