Saturday, January 6, 2018


I woke up this morning thinking I had heard the doorbell. I don't generally remember dreams and this doorbell didn't seem to be connected to any previous scenario. I just woke up thinking there was someone outside at the gate.
There's a dilemma to waking up like that. If I go to the window to see if someone is there, I might have a little accident. I really have to rush to the bathroom, first. But if I do that, then whoever might be there, will be gone. Does it matter? Instead of getting up to go one way or the other, I just lie there thinking about it until it doesn't matter any more, anyway.
I didn't have my watch on, so I didn't know what time it was. It was still dark but in Paris, in winter, that's not saying much. On my return from the bathroom, I opened the window for some fresh air since it wasn't raining, for once. I really hoped I could get back to sleep, but all I could think of was that doorbell sound until it was replaced by a chirping bird. Just one, lonely bird who had been tricked into thinking it was the right season by the warm temperatures we've been having in France. Birds are not chirping in the US along the Atlantic coastline.
I gave up on trying to sleep and peeked at my phone to see the time. It was a perfectly reasonable time to get up, but since I was holding the phone I opened Facebook. That's a mistake. I forgot it's the weekend and I want to try to wean myself from Facebook on weekends. The French have a great word for social media; it's "chronophage". It eats up time. It does. I didn't emerge until well over an hour later.
Part of that hour had been spent on looking at a Tedx Talk and a four-part conversation between James Navé and Court McCracken. Yesterday, I attended a storytelling workshop led by Navé. I'm glad I attended the workshop; we'll see what comes of it. There were thirteen of us, in addition to Navé, all very interesting people. I think I may try to do this kind of thing more often. One of the participants had seen the Tedx Talk and that had inspired her to attend. It was fortunate I hadn't been so curious before the workshop; I would have been intimidated and wouldn't have attended. Having attended and having been inspired, I understood and appreciated what I watched this morning.
I thought I'd be writing this morning, but of course, Facebook and email and YouTube ate up a big chunk of time. Breakfast and the newspaper ate up some more time; I didn't even try to do the crossword. It's Saturday, the first of the month, so routine household accounting took up some more time, which I didn't finish until after lunch, which between preparing and eating also took up a bit of time.
Yesterday, we all had at least one list of words with "time" on it. In fact, one list had "time" twice. That's how important time is. We have time, but it slips away, disappears. Next thing you know, it's time to go to bed, again.
On the to-do list is finishing up the New Year greeting for those I'm sending snail mail to. It's short. I'm already in the French version.
Another project is finishing the sweater I started this week for C. It's a small cardigan sweater - size 4-year-old. That's a good thing because I am dead serious this year about making room in the yarn boxes for the yarn that hasn't found storage space, yet. The goal is to reduce the stash, not get rid of it. You can't get rid of a yarn stash. There's always left over yarn. The request was for yellow, but not a light, lemony yellow. She favors a mustard yellow, almost leaning into orange. And I had some! Four 50-gr. skeins of a dark yellow alpaca yarn. Since I'm not sure that's enough, I'm doing a few rows at the bottom hem in raspberry pink. I first tried with a dark purple but the yarn was not the same weight and it didn't look right.
The back
There's a lot of manipulation to do. The top part, above the start of the armhole, is a 2/2 rib, alternating every four rows. It's a raglan sleeve; I have to remember to decrease for the raglan. Add to that, I wanted a garter stitch at the front opening and I have to do that manipulation, too. My back gives out after about half an hour at the knitting machine, so I can only work on it in spurts. I've got the back and one front piece done and I'm about half way through the second front piece. Then come the sleeves, but I won't have to worry about the garter stitch for those, so they should go faster. I think I may even have the right buttons in my button box.

No comments: