Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Spring is on the way

It's only the light that tells us that Spring is coming. It's getting light earlier and staying light later. I can get up and it's already light out and when I come home from an afternoon in Paris, it's still light out.
I haven't been knitting on the machines since before Christmas. Every day, I want to and then start doing something else. I have been hand knitting a pair of socks, though. They are almost done. I want to figure out the circular skirt I started back in October. Each time I start it, I have to stop because I won't have enough yarn if I keep going. It's going to have to be just a bit flared, not absolutely circular. And I want to make a sweater for S.
Last Friday, I went to Bordeaux for the day, for the funeral of my friend, Lucy. She was an inspiration. She mentored me through the Overseas Americans Week and so much more. I miss her. As much as the ceremony at the crematorium was emotional and sad, the afternoon at the apartment was a party in her honor with friends from AARO, FAWCO, DA, and Bordeaux, and her family. We sent her off with applause once again.
I hadn't been in Bordeaux in more than 20 years! It's changed. It's clean. There are tram lines all over. The sky was blue and the temperature very mild. I can imagine living there. Chr. and I took a taxi from the train station to the crematorium but we hitched a ride back to the city. The lovely woman who took us actually gave us a tour of the city before dropping us off at the Place de la Bourse at the entrance to Lucy's street. It was very kind of her to do that.
I could tell I was coming down with a cold that morning. Just the very beginning -- that scratchiness at the back of my throat. Since I'd been babysitting C. on Tuesday, I didn't have to think hard about how I caught a cold. It's running its course: Saturday, runny; Sunday, stuffy; Monday less stuffy as it descended; today, in my lungs with a good cough. I'm well enough to go into Paris.
First there's a meeting with the VP Advocacy to discuss the position papers for the upcoming OAW. At Lucy's, the president of FAWCO asked me to serve as liaison between AARO and FAWCO for that.
Following that, there's another memorial -- not for Lucy, but for Lisa, who died suddenly a week ago. She was only 58!
And that's that!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. For more private correspondence, just e-mail me! Ellen