Sunday, September 2, 2018

The Internet is chronophage

In France, the term for time-consuming and time-wasting is "chronophage". Its a good word. I like it. It is useful.
If you start your day looking at what emails came in during the night and trashing most of them and then proceed to Facebook to see what notifications came in, you know what I mean. You look over the notifications -- most of mine, nowadays, are from Girls High classmates, groups of Americans living abroad (generally) and in France, or Paris (specifically), and many machine knitting groups. Then, on to the "home" icon to see what's new. By the time I'm finished, it's time to check the email, again. A whole day can go by like this!
The machine knitting groups are the most chronophage. There are so many of them! There might be a new video showing a technique I'm not familiar with, or something I do know but want to see how this other person does it. There might be a question that I can help with, but I have to read all the replies to see if what I want to say has already been said. (I hate reading a long list of replies that merely repeat what someone else has said without adding any new insight! I do sometimes fall into that trap, though.)
I've dropped a few of the Americans abroad groups. They got too depressing. They also became too virulent, with some participants insulting others for daring to disagree or not taking what they considered appropriate action. I also decided to participate less in the groups I'm still following. It's quite a relief. It doesn't mean I've become disinterested. I've just decided to detach myself from the divisiveness.
My classmates are a different story. I love seeing what they are up to. They have their own passions and I continue to be educated by them.  We have our 50th reunion coming up in October and I've got my plane and hotel reservations, and even a reservation to see a comedy show where one of them is performing. I'm excited.  I'm extending the stay for family visits to Pittsburgh and San Diego.
I'll be returning to the U.S. in December, with my son and his family. A Florida vacation at Christmas, like the days our family would go down to Key West. And that'll be it, for a long while, I think.
Today looks like it's going to be a nice day. I'm finishing up my first task - this post and I'm turning off the computer as soon as I post it. I'm going to go for a walk after lunch and find time to redo that sweater that Au. started.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. For more private correspondence, just e-mail me! Ellen