Thursday, January 25, 2018

And we are back to gray

Just a little update on the last post, really. That sunshine didn't last long. I went to the hairdresser immediately after posting -- leaving home by about 9:30. It was already gray by the time I walked back before 11. It's been gray since then, but not raining. And more rain is predicted, here, but at this instant, it's not raining. The rain has not stopped elsewhere and the rivers are still rising. The Seine is expected to get up to, maybe even go over, the 2016 flood, which was pretty high. There are plenty of photos of Paris and the rest of France on the Internet.
Nogent sur Marne is on the Marne river, a tributary of the Seine, not far from the confluence. The mayor of Joinville-le-Pont, just across the river from Nogent, has initiated an evacuation order for some homes. I've read that the Marne is at the highest in 40 years.
Don't worry about us, though. We're on the other side of the hill that rises from the river to the main street of Nogent. That hill keeps rising after a first crest. The Fort de Nogent, which is really in Fontenay-sous-Bois territory, is at the high point and we are not far below that. Here's a map. The blue dot is where we are, right up next to the Fontenay border.
Today, I'm going to visit Victoria, in Versailles. Those who know me, know I am an avid reader of her blog, which is also listed on the sidebar, here, on the right. She wants to learn to knit - handknitting. So, I've got to go, now, and collect some yarn and needles. I'm driving. The RER C, that I would normally connect to in Paris, is cut off because of the flooding.

1 comment:

  1. We were wondering about the state of things where you live. Glad it's not to threatening. Still, it's nerve-wracking!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. For more private correspondence, just e-mail me! Ellen